Sunday, September 16, 2007

Creative Process

For pretty much every comic I do, I have a really ellaborate page making process. Billy's Adventurer's Club, is the first comic I've done in a while, that the process has been pretty straight forward, but I did this little demonstration to show you A page at it's many different stages.

Step 1:The very first thing I do is write the page, but after that I do a small sketch as to how I want the page to be laid out (you can see in on the right side of the middle panel). After that I go straight to pencils. A lot of people will do a very sketchy version of the page first to make sure there is going to be enough room for everything, but since I'm the one doing everything, I can kind of skip that step.

Step 2:Inks. I'm a pretty terrible inker. I'm pretty much only do it so that the drawing shows up better when I scan it into the computer. This version of the ink page also has a lot of digital corrections. All the Lines around the boxes are done on the computer, as well as touch ups and any heavy black areas.

Step 3: Coloring. This is by far the longest and most boring step, but for BAC the coloring is one of the most important things because it's part of the style of this book. I have to color the lines and then fill them in as well. The color for this page probably actually took longer than the actual pencils and inks.

After I'm done with all that I do lettering, but I didn't want to add a whole extra part just to show a couple word balloons, but that is pretty much the process in a nut shell.

No comments: