A couple years ago I did a project were I took things in my room and turned them into beats and music and recorded more stuff with synthesizers and keyboards then mashed it together and called it room sounds. It was really different than the music I was making music in Who-Rey-Grad at the time so I came up with a solo name of Volunteer Musician. I never really went to back to that style until recently.
A couple months ago I started recording these one person jam sessions where I took basically all the instruments I have, as well as creating really mangled samples and ran everything into my DJ mixer and then looped them and put tons of delay and echo on them so they're all playing continuously. It results in a pretty interesting sound. I also readopted my old name (minus the musician part) because it's so different from the music I'm making under the name wolves of saint august. I decided I'll probably want to release them in some fashion at some point so I did a cover for them (it's picture up there). So stayed tune for more info on this project in the future.
All done with the printing of the issues. I've decided that I'm going to be printing some stickers to go along with the occasion as well, for people who don't want to pick up the issue, but still want to check out the website. Here is the design for the sticker.
Merry Christmas. I usually make my own wrapping paper, but this year I just turned wrapping paper inside out and drew on the backside. And here are all the presents I got for people this year. Most of the drawings have something to do with the insides.
Here is your daily print update. Got one issue in the bag. And I'm working on the second one. I ended up doing a whole nother round of revisions on the comic. I tweeked another 10 pages or so. As for my palns for the rest of the week. I'm probably gonna take a break after tomorrow, and do the rest on saturday and sunday. And as promised yesterday here is the process for the cover.Here is the original sketch. I drew two or three designs, and fooled around with a bunch of other artwork before I came to this design. I actually flipped through some art books and web stuff till I remembered the cover that fabio moon did for the Myspace Dark Horse presents (link). And decided I wanted to do something like that. I remember reading this thing Dan Hipp wrote about doing covers where he said that the less colors you use the more it stands out, and that's always stuck with me, and decided I just wanted to do a two color type thing, which is when I came up with this sort of cascading idea, which I think turned out pretty well. I wanted to include the just inked page because there is actually a ton of little details in the piece that kind of gets drowned in the colored back ground. Take a close look to see if you can find all the little references to the first chapter.
This cover may be my favorite thing that I've drawn for Northpark thus far. I think it turned out really great, and it's going to look really good on the stands. I'll post some of the process from the cover tomorrow. As far as production goes. I got a comp done. There is still a lot of fixing I have to do before it's ready to print, but it's really cool to see it all printed out. I can't wait to get back to work on it again tomorrow. Here are some pics of the comp.
In case you missed it. Here is the cover to Chapter 2 of Northpark Underground. Also my original sketch for the cover.
Now for a little process update. I've thought it over, and I think I'm gonna post pone section 2.2 an extra week. This is because I'm going to participate in the indie comics week at the end of the month. I'm going to be making some some hand made issues of the first chapter of Northpark. Because of this. I don't think I'll be able to get the next section out in the 2 weeks I originally allotted. I'm going to be reworking a couple of the pages, and doing a brand new cover as well as some supplemental material. This is going to be a long process, and I don't have a whole lot of time so here's hoping. I'll keep you updated as I work.
Section 2.1 is up. It's the beginning of chapter 2 and Tad's fate will finally be revealed. Stay tuned to the blog all week for looks at the process of making Chapter 2. Check out the new section! LINKAGE!
The last couple years, my family has been doing kind of crazy Christmas cards, and this is this years model. It's kind of a whole family production. My brother took the pictures, and I did the layout. Unfortunately no one is flipping the bird this year.
Here's another process picture in the Mario Painting. I added the rest of the colors and started adding in the background. Now I've just got to finish the back ground, and retrace some of the black lines, and I'm done. I should have a finished product soon. And here's a picture of my room and my stuff.
I've started making my own custom sketch books, and here is the one I've been working in. Sporting a whole bunch of NWU emblems, as well as some of the stickers I've had lying around.
Oh Yah. I wanted to say thanks for my bud Lion, Roar! mentioning me in a recent blog post, and direct anybody stopping by here to check out his new photo blog which is now in the NWU blog round-up down on your left. Here is a link as well Explosure. He's got some pretty quality work on there.
I write comics that no one cares about. I make music that no one cares about. I wish I lived the in the village from the prisoner.
And now I make Podcasts with my friends that only a couple people care about.