Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Iatro Process

I do this for about all my comics. Here is a page process.
Step 1: Rough Layout. I do a really quick sketch of how I think the page should look. Sometimes I go with the first thing I do, but with this page I did about 3 or 4 before I decide on this one. I've been going for a specific type of visual layouts with this book. This page actually breaks that a little. Most of the pages I've done so far are all laid out horizontally, but this one is all over the place. Hell, it isn't even symmetrical. I think it's also interesting how close the 1 minute layout is to the final layout. Wow! Typing all that took longer than actually drawing that part.
Step 2: Pencils. You can see in this step all the lines I use to line up all the boxes and how I generally put the page together. The way I work, the pencils is still kind of a rough version of what the page is going to look like.
Step 3:
Inks. Unlike a lot of traditional artists, I actually put just as much, if not more work in the ink process. This is where the page really takes shape. The shot up there has actually had a lot of digital work done to it already as well. It was actually two pages combined. A lot of the back ground elements were done on another piece of paper and then they were put together in photoshop.
Step 4: Color. Color is a really big part of Iatro. I think once you get to see the actual issue it will make more sense what is going on with the color. For this page I basically made everything green, and then put white on top as well as halftone patterns.
Step 5: Vector pieces. This is usually also where I put in lettering, but there wasn't any for this page. It made be hard to see in this small version, but I added a circle and arrow to show that the book is a blow up of the previous panel. There is also a dotted line to show the path of the apple. This is continued from the previous page.

I hope this was very informative. Now go and steal my process, that's basically all I do from other people.

No comments: